Two days ago, when I was editing a 4 or 5 page document, I selected two words at the start of a 4 or 5 line paragraph and overtyped with a single word. Just that. Nothing else.
What did NOT happen was for my replacement text to appear to the left of the moving cursor as I typed, whilst the remainder of the paragraph to teh right of and beneath cursor remained unaltered.
Instead, this happened:
- To the left of the cursor where I had just overtyped,
I saw three or four Chinese characters.
- To the right of and beneath the cursor,
the remainder of my paragraph switched to
a different font.
I undid the correction with Ctrl-z and my original text and original font was restored. I tried repeatedly. Same behaviour every time. I was unable to alter my two words without Chinese characters appearing and messing up the whole of the rest of the paragraph.
I immediately cut out all paragraphs above and all below, leaving just the aberrant paragraph, re-tried the alteration, verified continuing incorrect behaviour, and savet the single problem-paragraph as a new document, ready to send to you. When I re-opened it, the problem was not repeatable.
I reverted to the full document, checked that the problem was still there, and saved the whole document ready to send to you. On re-opening it, the problem had gone.
I am therefore unable to send you an example of this behaviour and all I can do is describe it in maximum detail, as above. The paragraph I was editing had track-changes switched on, by the way.
Today, when continuing editing this same document, I found this line of text that needed correction:
Unlike radiators, convectors do need regular attention because, without adequate cleaning, dust accumulating in the fins and grilles , degrades operating efficiency.
Look at the words, "...grilles , degrades...". There is an error. TO correct it, I selected with the cursor the characters, " , ", immediately after the word "grilles" - just these, no others - then I pressed the spacebar once.
This ought to have changed
"...grilles , degrades..." into "...grilles degrades...".
It did not. Instead, it changed
"...grilles , degrades..." into "...gril degrades...".
As before, I tried to save this to send to you but whenever I re-opened teh saved example file, the problem was no longer repeatable.
As before, I was working with 'track-changes' switched on. I mention this, not because I believe that this is why these problems are occurring, but only in case it should be relevant.