First of all, please make sure that you're already using the latest version 52.1.1 instead of the slightly outdated versions 52.0 to 52.1.0 which still contained a number of bugs. To do so, please launch Thunderbird, invoke Help > About Thunderbird and click on Check for Updates.
In a second step, you should refresh the SoftMaker add-ons. Please open the add-ons manager (Tools > Add-ons), click on the gear-wheel icon in the top right of the window and choose Check for updates from the dropdown list.
Here are the most important improvements of Thunderbird 52 at a glance:
Folder pane toolbar
Thunderbird 52 offers a handy new dropdown list which makes it much easier for you to access your folders and accounts:
This dropdown list enables you to get an overview of your accounts and folders quickly: You can use it to display only certain folders, e.g. folders containing unread messages or folders marked as favorites. When doing so, you can choose between a compact view that shows just the folders or the regular mode which includes their parent folders, too.
If this dropdown list isn't visible yet, enable it by selecting View > Toolbars > Folder Pane Toolbar from the menu.
New chat features
With the integrated chat module, you can access your Twitter account directly from inside Thunderbird. With version 52, this module offers even more features than before. For example, you can now "like" tweets directly in Thunderbird:
Thunderbird now also supports direct messages in Twitter. Just double-click on the recipient in the right column of your Twitter timeline. A new conversation is displayed that lets you send direct messages to the selected recipient.
Lightning calendar: Show events and tasks in tabs
You can now create and edit events and tasks in tabs:
To activate tab view for events and tasks, please go to Tools > Options > Calendar > General and check the following checkbox below Events and Tasks:
The "Correspondents" column
In all newly created local folders, the column "Correspondents" is now shown by default. It replaces the column "From":
If you don't want to make use of this change, open the configuration editor with Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor, search for the entry "mail.threadpane.use_correspondents" and change its value to "false" by double-clicking on it:
Copying message filters
You might already have created message filters which help you organize your e-mails by moving them to suitable folders. Now you can create such filters even more easily by just copying existing filters:
- The keyboard shortcut for inserting hyperlinks is now Ctrl+K instead of Ctrl+L.
- When removing an account from Thunderbird, you can optionally delete all related data files from your hard disk drive.
- New import function for the Japanese e-mail program Becky!
- Changed processing of received invitation counter proposals
- Chat now supports the SASL SCRAM authentication mechanism of XMPP.
- Chat now supports XMPP Message Carbons (XEP-280).
- When replying to a mailing list, the reply is now sent to the address in the "From" header instead of the address in the "Reply-to" header.
- On Linux, PulseAudio is now required to play sound.
- If you switch to "plain-text mail" while editing an e-mail, the formatting toolbar is now left in place.
- Images inserted into e-mails from the internet using copy & paste now reference the original URL instead of being attached.
You can find a complete list of all improvements and bug fixes here:
Thunderbird "powered by SoftMaker"
If you use SoftMaker Office 2016, Thunderbird "powered by SoftMaker" is included. You not only profit from the improvements that come with Thunderbird 52, but also from the add-ons developed by SoftMaker. These improve Thunderbird's user interface and add powerful functions for filing messages and folder navigation.